1992 UK champion Jimmy White saw his hopes of another glory run dashed by Xing Zihao in the first round of this year’s tournament in Leicester.
The six-time world finalist won four matches to qualify for the last 32 of the tournament at the York Barbican at the age of 60 last year, but lost 6-2 to 19-year-old rookie Xing at the Morningside Arena on Saturday.
Xing produced a 104 break in the second frame with White responding courtesy of an 81 in the third, but it was the young Chinese player who claimed the final three frames to secure a meeting with James Cahill in the second round on Sunday afternoon.
Former women’s world champion Mink Nutcharut completed her best win on the professional circuit with a 6-3 victory against Adam Duffy despite making a highest break of only 60.
“I am very happy and excited,” said Mink after potting pink and black to set up a meeting with Michael White on Sunday.
“In the last frame, the pressure was on and my heart was beating fast. The last black would usually be easy, but the pressure made it difficult.
“I have been practising with a lot of good players in Sheffield so I felt confident. I don’t know if I can win another match, I will just enjoy it.”
Elsewhere on Saturday, Marco Fu won the battle of the ranking event winners in a 6-5 victory over Michael Holt that saw him finish with a 71 in the deciding frame.
Holt produced breaks of 91, 117, 70, 56 and 125, but still tumbled out as Fu progressed to a match with Ben Mertens on Sunday.
Former world champions Stuart Bingham, Ken Doherty and Graeme Dott and former UK champion Matthew Stevens all have to negotiate a path to the last 32 this year with qualifying concluding on Thursday ahead of the last 16 joining the action on Saturday 25 November.
UK Championship first round: latest results
- Mohamed Ibrahim 6-3 Victor Sarkis
- Rod Lawler 6-2 Liam Graham
- Alexander Ursenbacher 6-4 Andrew Higginson
- Ryan Davies 6-1 Anton Kazakov
- Louis Heathcote 6-0 Ahmed Aly Elsayed
- Dean Young 6-1 Oliver Brown
- Duane Jones 6-1 Muhammad Asif
- Allan Taylor 6-5 Liam Davies
- Ma Hailong 6-4 Sydney Wilson
- Stan Moody 6-3 Filips Kalnins
- Oliver Sykes 6-1 Alfie Burden
- Robbie McGuigan 6-2 Fergal O’Brien
- Ross Muir 6-1 Andrew Pagett
- Peng Yisong 6-0 Umut Dikme
- Jiang Jun 6-0 Rebecca Kenna
- Mink Nutcharut 6-3 Adam Duffy
- Stuart Carrington 6-2 M Phetmalaikul
- Jenson Kendrick 6-4 Oliver Briffett-Payne
- Marco Fu 6-5 Michael Holt
- Xing Zihao 6-2 Jimmy White
- Daniel Wells 6-2 Mostafa Dorgham
- Long Zehuang 6-5 Haydon Pinhey
- Ryan Thomerson 6-5 Reanne Evans